A.- (1) The latest publication of the Good Governance Books is entitled Laws Penalizing Public Officers which is Book I of the two volume series of CRIMES OF PUBLIC OFFICERS. The companion Book II is entitled Criminal Cases vs. Public Officers which is still in the pipeline.
(2) The Laws Penalizing Public Officers contains digests of a wide spectrum of existing laws that punishes acts or omissions of public officers inimical to public interest. It is written in layman’s style and intended for public officers without legal background. In his Preface the author writes that the book is “dedicated to the young generation of public officers that they may avoid being entangled in the web of penal laws that not a few found themselves, at the end of their careers, manacled and committed behind bars”.
(3) The book’s Preface mentions of lesser known penal laws that public officers could unwittingly violate, and which could cause their suspension, dismissal from office, or even send them to jail; among them:
- Receiving of gifts by reason of official position, including during Christmas. Penalty: Imprisonment from 1 year to 5 years. Law: P.D. No. 45 (1972)
- Failure to report and liquidate cash advance as soon as the purpose has been served. Penalty: Fine up to PhP1,000 or imprisonment not more than 6 months. Law: P.D. No. 1445 (1978), Sec. 128.
- Intentionally delaying procurement procedures. Penalty: Imprisonment from 6 years to 15 years. Law: R.A. No. 9184 (2003), Sec. 65, par. a.
- Failure to collect taxes due on real property. Penalty: Fine from PhP1,000 to PhP5,000 or imprisonment from 1 month to 6 months. Law: R.A. No. 9184 (1991) Sec. 517.
- Failure to make delivery of public funds or property upon order of competent authority. Penalty: Imprisonment of arresto mayor and fine. Law: Revised Penal Code, Art. 221.
- Withholding of benefits accorded to barangay officials. Penalty: Suspension or dismissal. Law: R.A. No. 7164 (1991), Sec. 512.
- Failure to act on request or to refer back to client a request which cannot be acted upon within 10 days. Penalty: 30 days suspension. Law: R.A. No. 9485 (2007). □
(Reference: Preface, pp. iv-v, CRIMES OF PUBLIC OFFICERS, Book I, Laws Penalizing Public Officers.)